REVERSING URBAN INEQUALITY IN JOHANNESBURG (Editor)
Selected Scholarly Articles
- "Class Identity, Xenophobia and Xenophilia: Migrant Experience in South Africa’s Diverse Cultural Time Zones," in Handbook of African Philosophy of Difference: The Othering of the Other, Ed. Elvis Imafidon. (forthcoming)
- “Frontier Heritage Migrants: Finding Home in Globalizing India."
Migration and Diasporas: An Interdisciplinary Journal.” Vol 1, No. 1, January-June 2018. (forthcoming)
- “Bloody Diaspora Theory for the 21st Century: African and Asian Heritage Migrants Return,” Diaspora. (forthcoming)
- “Notes on the Spatial Politics of Chick Lit in Africa and Asia: Sidestepping Tradition and Fem-washing Global Capitalism?,” Feminist Theory. (forthcoming)
- “Defining Global Hipsterification: Cultural Time Zones of hipster-led gentrification in New York, New Delhi and Johannesburg," in Hipster Culture: A Reader, Eds. Heike Steinhoff and Eric C. Erbacher. (in progress)
Public Culture, May, 2017 Volume 29, Number 2 82: 261-285.
- "Imagining a Dialectical African Modernity: Achebe's Ontological Hopes, Sembene's Machines, Mda's Epistemological Redness," in Journal of Contemporary African Studies, Volume 32, 2014 - Issue 4, special issue on "Writers and Social Thought."
Republished in Writers and Social Thought in Africa, Ed. Wale Adebanwi. London: Routledge, 2016.
- “Indian Ocean Cosmopolitanism?: M.G. Vassanji’s Hybrid Parables of Kenyan Nationalism” in Diaspora 16, 1/2 Spring/Fall 2007 © 2012, 159-189.
- “Anti-Colonial to Anti-Globalization Nationalism: Pepetela’s Angolanidade” in New Global Studies 5:1 (April, 2011).
- “The Limits of Rainbow Nation Multiculturalism in Post-Apartheid South Africa: Spatial Configuration in Zakes Mda’s Ways of Dying and Jonathan Morgan’s Finding Mr. Madini” in Research in African Literatures 41:2 (Summer 2010), 93-120.
Scholarly Works in progress:
- The American Dream Abroad:
Privileged Frontier Migrants in the Global South Africa
- The Politics of Blood:
Frontier Migration to China, India and South Africa
in a Changing Global Economy